Lying in between the north and south bound lanes of highway 75 is the Union Point United Church and Cemetery. Built in 1887, the church was destroyed by fire in 1939 and rebuilt a year later.
The church was built in the small town of Union Point. A sandbar along the Red River made this an ideal location for the docking of boats, both steam boats and cargo carriers alike. The town contained a small school, town hall and post office.
The small cemetery beside the church saved it from demolition when highway 75 was twinned. Since cemeteries are considered holy ground, the addition to the highway was built around the church, instead of threw it.
The church also survived Manitoba’s flood of the century in 1997.